Mac App Store
Geometrize is an app for recreating images using simple geometric shapes.
Geometrize reconstructs images with geometric primitives for unique artistic results. The app uses only basic shapes like rectangles, triangles and ellipses for geometrizing images.
The app gives you full control over the geometrization process, with intuitive, interactive options for the types of shape to use, shape opacity, areas to focus, and more.
Geometrize was created by indie game developer Sam Twidale.
Sam was studying computer science at college when he read about a genetic algorithm that recreated a replica of the Mona Lisa using just fifty simple shapes. Geometrize started out as an idea to use this concept for creating placeholder graphics for videogames.
A few years later, Sam discovered a project called Primitive. It inspired him to create a cross-platform app for recreating images using shapes that would be easy for non-programmers to use.
After months of development and testing, Geometrize is close to release for Windows, Mac and Linux, and Sam has made the codebase open source.
- Recreate any image using geometric primitives.
- Use hundreds of curated examples with pre-tuned settings.
- Export geometrized images as SVG, PNG, JPG or animated GIF.
- Export geometrized images as HTML5 canvas or WebGL webpages.
- Get the most out of Geometrize with comprehensive video tutorials.
- Export raw shape data as JSON for your own projects and creations.
- Control the algorithm at the core of Geometrize through the script editor.
These free demos provide an idea of what the software does: